Monday, August 31, 2015

Minced meat porridge with carrots (shortcut method)

I have a problem with cooking on weekends because my son usually naps at 12 noon and he needs me to nap with him! Which means I have to try my best to stay awake while pretending to sleep and only get up to cook when he falls asleep. So I came out with a lazy way to get out of this situation! There were times I ended up packing lunch from coffeeshop downstairs and regretting because it is too salty/oily for our liking.

Ingredients
Uncooked rice
Minced meat
Carrot
Spring onions (optional for garnish)
Fried garlic (optional)
Soy sauce
Pepper
Sesame oil 

Recipe
1. Wash the uncooked rice and place it in a pot. (Used my tanyu claypot as it retains heat very well)
2. Add water and turn on the heat to cook till it is boiling.
3. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and it is break time! 
***Go and take a break for 1-2 hours***
4. After the break, chop the carrots into thin strips. Prepare the minced meat by seasoning it with sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper.
5. Open the cover and you should see that the rice has softened like teochew porridge texture. Turn on the heat again and put in the carrots strips followed by minced meat.
6. Let it cook for another 10-15 minutes until desired texture.
7. Test the taste and add soy sauce or salt to season if required.
8. Sprinkle with fried garlic and spring onions. Serve hot!

Note: I have tried leaving the porridge in normal pots. It will still work but probably not as well as the claypot. I need to cook the porridge after my nap longer in order to achieve a smoother texture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment