Saturday, August 15, 2015

Fried silver fish


Recently I went out for dinner and ordered silver fish fried rice but it was served a tiny portion on the fried rice. I wished I could refill the silver fish. Haha So I bought a packet of dried silver fish from the supermarket under dried goods section and decided to try making it! I am so glad my first attempt worked out well.



Ingredient
Dried silver fish

Recipe
1. Soak the dried silver fish in water for a few minutes and drain the water. Repeat this step again if you wish to reduce the saltiness.
2. Transfer to a dry dish and pat off the moisture using kitchen towel. Don't have to dry thoroughly just remove most of the moisture.
3. Heat up oil in the pot using medium flame. I used just enough oil to cover a layer of silver fish. Check if the oil is hot enough. I test the temperature by dropping one small fish in. If it is sizzling, then the oil is ready.
4. Put all the silver fish into the pot to fry. The fry process is about 5 minutes or so. You will see the oil sizzling because water is being drawn out from the silver fish. When the oil starts to become less sizzling and only bubbling gently, it means the silver fish is ready. Don't worry if the silver fish looks pale as it will turn a nice yellow colour after being removed from oil.
5. Remove the silver fish from the pot and put on a plate lined with kitchen towel to remove excess oil. I would keep the silver fish in a reused glass container.

Just gave my son a big bowl of porridge with silver fish and he finished all! Now I know it goes well with fried rice and porridge. What else goes well with silver fish?

2 comments:

  1. Good idea SoniaRouvin but I need to learn how to make mee hoon kuey first... haha

    ReplyDelete