Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Char siew

I always have the impression that char siew is difficult to make at home until I see many mummies actually make them at home. My recipe below is adapted from My Mind Patch - Rice Cooker Char Siew. I did not use the rice cooker as my rice cooker is used to cook rice. Also, omitted the wine part for my toddler son.
 

Ingredients
About 450g Pork Shoulder
2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce (Lee Kum Kee)
2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
2 tsp Sesame oil
1/4 tsp Dark Soya sauce 
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1 clove chopped garlic
100ml water

Recipe
1. Put all the marinade ingredients together and mix well.
2. Cut the pork shoulder into thick long slices and place them in a ziplock bag or container.
3. Add in the marinade and leave it in the fridge for at least 4 hours or even overnight.
4. After marinating, pour everything into a wok and slowly cook the meat for 20 minutes till the sauce starts to dry up. Stir the meat and sauce from time to time during the 20 minutes.
5. When the sauce thickens up and the meat is coated nicely with the sauce, remove it from the wok and place it in the oven to roast at 200 degree calcius for 3 minutes. Flip to the other side and roast at the same temperature and timing.
6. Add water to the remaining sauce and use it as a gravy to serve.
7. Chop the char siew and serve with rice and gravy.
8. *If you do not have the time to cook in the wok, you can put the meat on a grilling rack (don't pour all the marinate in!) and roast at 180 degree celcius for about 20-25 minutes. From time to time, baste the sauce onto the meat and flip them. When it looks cooked, do step 5 to increase the temperature and roast for 3 minutes to caramelise the sugar.

I have tried doing step 8 before and I must say it does not really differ that much in terms of taste. Best thing is I can save some time here and there to do other stuffs. A great recipe for the busy working mummies like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment