Saturday, September 5, 2015

Steamed cod with garlic sauce

My son loves to eat cod fish and we steam cod very often. When I first started steaming fish, I usually stick to using just soy sauce and sesame oil. Lucky my son was still quite young then, so he did not complain about eating the same thing. I spend a lot of time reading recipes and hoping to find easy yet tasty recipes for steaming fish and steaming with garlic is one I strongly recommend! Hong Kong Style steamed cod fish by Annielicious is one such recipe that inspires me.

Ingredients
1 slice of Cod
Ginger slices 
Minced garlic
Chopped spring onions (garnish)
Oyster sauce
Soy sauce
Water
Sugar

Recipe
1. Steam the cod fish with some ginger slices for 7 minutes or until it is cooked. (I used an electric steamer and it also depends on the thickness of the fish)
2. In a pan, heat up some oil and put in the minced garlic. Keep the heat at medium and cook till the garlic turns brown.
3. Put in some oyster sauce, soy sauce and water to mix in a bowl and pour it in the pan. Add sugar to balance the taste. You can adjust the taste to your liking here.
4. When the fish is cooked, pour away the water and move the fish to the serving plate.
5. Pour the sauce over the fish. Sprinkle the spring onions and serve.

One lesson I have learnt from many recipes online is adding sugar. I never know putting in sugar can make such a difference in the taste. It balances the savoury taste and makes the food even more delicious! If you have rock sugar, that is best! Else you can also use normal sugar like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment