Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Steamed chicken with black fungus

I like to steam dishes when the weather gets hazy. It makes things a lot easier in the kitchen. I remembered my mum passed me some dried stuffs last month and I have not started using black fungus. When I was searching "steamed chicken with black fungus" in Google, I found this recipe by My Kitchen Snippets - Steamed chicken with mushrooms and black fungus. Got really tempted to try out the recipe as it did not seemed too difficult. 

Ingredients
1 chicken leg (deboned)
Dried black fungus
Dried wolfberries
Spring onions
Cornstarch
Soy sauce
Rice wine
Oyster sauce
Pepper
Salt 

Recipe
1. Soak the black fungus and wolfberries in separate bowls. After the black fungus expanded, remove the centre which is hard and cut them into thin slices.
2. Cut the chicken leg into bite size pieces. Marinate in soy sauce, pepper and cornstarch and place them on the steaming dish.
3. Add the black fungus to the chicken and distribute evenly by mixing.
4. In a bowl, add oyster sauce, rice wine and salt. Adjust the taste to your liking. (I did 1:1 proportion for oyster sauce : rice wine.) As rice wine is sweet, it is okay to add salt to balance the taste.
5. Pour the sauce over the chicken then sprinkle the wolfberries on top.
6. Steam the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes. (Mine took about 20 minutes in the electrical steamer)
7. Garnish with spring onions and put a dash of pepper if you like. Serve hot.

My husband gave thumbs up for this dish. Personally I am surprised as it tastes better than my expectation. The chicken turned out to be smooth and tender. Very nice to go with rice. I can see myself cooking this often for weekday dinners. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Keep it going ya, love the steam meal recipe :) cant wait to start making them

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! hope you like the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete