Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Pan fry fish with ginger citrus sauce

Nowadays when I cook 红斑鱼 or the red grouper (I think that is the correct English name...), I like to pan fry it. I find that pan frying it makes it nicer than steaming. That is my personal opinion. Today I actually planned to cook it with ginger and soy sauce. But I saw half a lemon sitting in my fridge and I wanted to use that. Was thinking whether I should cut the fish into slices then deep fry it before making the lemon sauce. Due to time constraint, I decided to just pan fry the fish first and make the sauce after that. It was a good move as I managed to stir fry my vegetables while pan frying the fish.

Ingredients
Red grouper thick slice (any other fish that has firm flesh)
Ginger strips
Cornstarch solution 

Sauce
1 part lemon juice
2 part orange juice 
Some water 
1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt

Recipe
1. Clean the fish and rub it with salt. Wash off the salt and pat dry with kitchen towel.
2. Oil the pan and gently place the fish in. Allow it to pan fry on medium heat for at least few minutes on each side till it is brown. Remove from heat and place on serving plate.
3. Clean the pan with kitchen towel and oil the pan again. I like to use the same pan to save some washing.
4. Heat up some oil in the pan before adding the ginger strips. Let it cook for a while till it starts to brown. Pour in the sauce and allow it to cook till boil. In the meanwhile, season the sauce with sugar and salt till the desired taste.
5. Add in the cornstarch solution to thicken the sauce. Pour the sauce over the fish once it is done.

My first attempt I used more lemon juice than orange juice. It was quite sour and I had to adjust with more sugar. Hence I think 2:1 portion should be better. Love the refreshing taste of this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment