Thursday, November 12, 2015

Baked five spice chicken leg

My first experience using five spice powder was making braised pork belly. I love the smell of the five spices so I am always excited to find recipes that use five spice powder. I would also put the powder when I am making ngoh hiang. Picture of the five spice powder I bought from NTUC below.



One year ago, I chanced upon a kind member who shared her recipe on marinating chicken legs with five spice powder and air fried it. I thought it was a very good idea and tried it. Wanted to find the original recipe and credit the owner but couldn't find it. I had it manually written down in my cooking notepad last year. Anyway this is strongly recommend for a simple quick dish with minimum fuss. Do try the recipe!

Ingredients
2 large chicken legs
Chopped spring onions

Marinate
4 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Dark soy sauce
1 tsp Sugar
Dash of white pepper
1/2 tsp five spice powder
1 Tbsp water

Recipe
1. Put all the marinate ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2. Pour marinate all over the chicken legs and set aside for at least 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
3. When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius.
4. On the baking tray, place the chicken skin side down and drizzle all the marinate on it.
5. Bake the chicken leg in the oven for at least 30 minutes. After first 10-15 minutes, flip the chicken over to face skin side up. Continue baking until it is fully cooked. The timing really depends on the size of your chicken legs. Also I realised with bone, it takes longer to cook. So if you get boneless chicken legs, it should be cooked faster.

 My husband is not the type to praise my cooking but he did say this is nice. The chicken is flavorful and tender according to him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment