Friday, November 6, 2015

Teochew style fish porridge with spinach and wolfberries

I asked my son what he wanted to have for dinner that day when his daddy is not around and he replied "fish porridge". Then I was thinking what kind of porridge should I make? Usually I would cook the porridge till it is congee-like and put in the fish slices to cook. Teochew style fish porridge came to my mind. For the fish slices, I chose to use 红斑鱼. Not sure what should be the correct English name for this fish. Red grouper or red snapper or something else? If you know, pls drop me a comment to tell me, thanks! To make it more nutritious, I added in some spinach and wolfberries too.

Ingredients
Fish slices
Cooked rice
Spinach
Wolfberries
Fried shallots
Soy beans
Fish bones
Ginger slices
Chinese cooking wine
White pepper
Soy sauce 
Salt

Recipe
1. Wash the soy beans and place them in a stock bag. Heat a pot of boiling water and add the beans to let it boil for 20-30 minutes.
2. Add in some fish bones and ginger slices to let it further cook for another 15 minutes.
3. Marinate the fish slices with some chinese cooking wine, pepper and soy sauce. Mix well then set aside.
4. Remove the fish bones and soy beans from the pot. You may remove the ginger slices if you want but I preferred to have mine in the soup.
5. Add the cooked rice into the soup. (Make sure your cooked rice is not too mushy else it won't be nice)
6. Add the spinach and wolfberries into the pot. Let it cook for a while.
7. Finally put in the fish slices. I use a chopstick to lift the slices into the soup. Do not pour marinade into the pot.
8. Taste the soup. You can add some salt if you prefer a heavier taste.
9. Garnish with some fried shallots and serve it hot.

This will definitely be on the list of comfort food I love! Makes your stomach feel so satisfied and warm. For my own serving, I added a bit of dong cai and the flavour is so good. (Skipped that for my son because I think it is too salty for him.)

Another dish that you can serve easily for dinner on weekday too. I did step 1 in the morning before I stepped out for work and completed the rest when I get home. Thaw the fish in the refrigerator the night before or the morning itself, then it will be semi thaw in the evening which makes it easier to cut into slices. As for the fish bones, I used the cod fish bones I had. I must find a time to cook this again since my husband missed my first attempt!


No comments:

Post a Comment